The Weight Lifter

Friday, December 16, 2005

About

I'm moving my lifting/health diary on-line, to blogger.

I've been working out for the last couple of years, seriously - I lost 45 pounds last year, and have put on a pretty good amount of muscle (actually have gained 25 pounds of that weight loss back - a LOT of it muscle, but some fat :( ).

For the last 1.5 years I've primarily been doing a modified Max-OT program. It's basically two muscle groups a night, for about 1.5 hour (max of two), really heavy weight, 6 nights a week. It's a really tough program, as lifting max weight on a nightly basis can grind you down, but I believe it's effective. I do that 8-11 weeks, take 5 days off, then do it again.

I just switched to HST in the last couple of weeks. I felt I needed a break from Max-OT, and HST looks like a solid program - I may only do one pass (8 weeks); I'll see how it goes.

I've actually been having trouble with my weight as of late - I was down to a low of 225, with a high of 270. I'm right at 250 right now. I really was focusing on weight lifting this year, and kinda lost track of the diet. I believe that if I can watch my calories and continue with the lifting/cardio program, I'll be good to go.

I actually was crazy on my cal level when I lost the weight - I lost 45 pounds in 4 months. I did it by eating very low cal and doing very long cardio - down to 900 cal a day, doing 2 hours of cardio. It WORKED, and I didn't have a lot of muscle loss as I also was lifting. But it's just very hard to keep it at that cal level. I've tried getting back on it again, but it just doesn't work. Plus, I believe I'd end up loosing a lot of my muscle mass if I did that at this point, so I'm trying to stay reasonable this time around.

My target is 2k calories a day, with lots of protein. No, that doesn't mean low carb! I'm not watch carbs, but I'm trying to get enough protein in the diet. I est. my burn rate at 2700-3000, so with 2k I should loose a pound or two a weekl. Based on my reading, I'm going to target 1 gram protein per pound of body weight. That's 250 grams a DAY, which is a hell of a lot. I will try doing that as close as possible, even though based on past experience I will get tired of all the damn egg weights that will take! :) I'm still lifting really hard, so if I can do 2k, loose a pound a week and continue to bulk muscle, I should be in gooood shape

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home